Good Afternoon Parents, students, and staff,
This is Joycelyn Cassidy, Principal of SWMS with your Colt Call for the week of Jan 13 to Jan 17.
Beginning Monday, Jan 13, forms will be available for you to submit requests for encore schedule changes for the 2nd semester. Forms will be in the office and must be returned with a parent signature no later than Wednesday, Feb 5th. Changes will be based on first come first serve and space availability.
The end of the marking period is Friday, Jan 17. The 7th and 8th grade are both offering opportunities for students to work on pulling up grades through either (SMART Lunch or COLTS lunch. Again, please encourage your child to take advantage of these opportunities. If you have questions, just reach out to your childs’ HR teacher.
6th and 7th grade parents it is not too early to start thinking about the possibility and opportunity for your child to take HS credit classes as an 8th grader. Information regarding the requirements, opportunities and selection process will be going home with report cards for the 2nd grading period. Please take the time to review and discuss with your child. EOG performance is a leading indicator of the selection process.
As a reminder, please take advantage of our Military and Family Life Counselor here at Southwest Middle School. Mrs. Vega is here to provide extra support for our students with an active duty parent or guardian. These students may want someone to talk to regarding the recent events in the Middle East. She is here all day Thursdays and Friday afternoons. Just stop by the front office or the Guidance Department to pick up a sign-up form.
Yearbooks are still available online at Balfour.com. The price is $30.00 plus any additional cost for personalization’s. A yearbook is a great way to hold on to those memories.
Mark Your Calendar:
• We will be giving our MOY iReady math diagnostic on Jan 14 and 15. Parents please remind students to charge their devices and to do their VERY best. This assessment will determine their growth in math since the beginning of the year. Incentives for growth may be available by grade levels.
• We have 2 away basketball games next week. On Tuesday we travel to SBM and on Thursday we travel to BMS.
• There is no school on Monday, Jan 20 for the MLK Holiday, and there is also no school on Tuesday and Wednesday, Jan 21 and 22 for TWD.
• We will be giving our ELA and Grade 8 Science benchmark on Jan 27 and Jan 28.
• Report cards for the 2nd semester will be distributed on Jan 29.
• Our Semester Academic Awards recognition is scheduled for Feb 4 at 8:15. Invitations will be sent home prior to the event.
This ends our Colt Call for this week. Please remember, all information in this message will also be available on the school website.
Enjoy the rest of your weekend, goodbye!