Geography Bee Information
Onslow County School System Geography Bee
Dr. Lisa Ireland Peele
910-455-2211 ext. 20235
Elementary School Geography Bee
Date: January 16, 2020
Location: Stateside Elementary School
Middle School Geography Bee
Date: January 9, 2020
Location: ENC Regional Skills Center ( Burton Industrial Park, 261 NW Corridor Blvd.)
Participating Elementary Schools send one student to the County-Level Bee.
Participating Middle Schools send two students to the County-Level Bee.
Geography Bee participation is open to students in grades 4-8.
Contest Guidelines & Information:
Students will draw numbers to determine seating order.
Prior to beginning the Bee, students will introduce themselves; state his/her grade level and school.
OCS Geography Bee format:
- The student will be asked a question
- All questions will be multiple choice except for tie-breakers.
- Each question will be read two times. Questions will be delivered in rounds. Each round will deal with a specific topic which will be stated at the beginning of the round.
- Questions will also be posted on a screen.
- Students will have 15 seconds to answer the question.
- The student must state his/her answer once time as been called.
- If the student answers the question incorrectly, he/she is eliminated.
- In case of a tie for 1st place, students will enter the Tie-Breaker Round.
- In the event a question is disputed, the concern must be brought to the attention of the moderator/judges prior to the next question being read.
- In Tie-breaker Round:
a. Questions will be random.
b. All students will receive the same questions (these questions will not be multiple choice)
c. Once the question has been read, students will have 15 seconds to write his/her answer
d. When time is called, the students will be asked to hold up his/her answers (the spelling must be as such that the answer is understood by the judges and moderator)
Trophies will be awarded to the 1st and 2nd place winners. The 1st place winner’s school will also receive a trophy.
Odd Item Out
National Geographic Bee