Become a School Bus Driver
Bus Driver Virtual Training Classes
Classes are held twice a month with the exception of December, which will only have one class. In order to be considered for a class, a prospective applicant will need to have a completed application on file.
Application Process for Bus Drivers or Substitute Bus Drivers
Prior to applying for a Bus Driver or Substitute Bus Driver position, please review the mandatory NCDOT physical and legal requirements for the position as outlined in the North Carolina School Bus Handbook which is available at any Driver License Office or on-line at www.ncdot.gov/dmv/driver
1. Create an online "Bus Driver" application through this link: Bus Driver Online Application
2. A minimum of a High School Diploma or G.E.D. is required in order to be considered for hire as a Bus Driver with Onslow County Schools. You will need to scan and upload your HS diploma, GED with grades, or official transcripts to your application.
3. References require an active email address and will need to be professional only. Please NO family or friends.
4. If you do not currently hold a NC Driver’s License, you will need to obtain one before completing the application. You will also need to contact the DMV in the state you were previously licensed in and request a 3- 5 year driving record, which will need to be scanned and uploaded with your application.
5. If selected for an interview, we will contact you to set up a date and time.
- A pre-employment criminal background check will be performed. See the North Carolina School Bus Handbook for the legal requirements for the position.
6. Successfully complete the Bus Driver Licensing Class which is offered through the North Carolina Department of Motor Vehicles (NCDMV).
Contact the OCS Transportation Department at 910-455-5037 Ext 37020, if you have any questions or problems.
CLASS SCHEDULE 2024
8 - 11 Registration deadline December 21st
22 - 25 Registration deadline January 11th
5 - 8 Registration deadline January 25th
19 - 22 Registration deadline February 8th
4 - 7 Registration deadline February 22rd
18 - 21 Registration deadline March 7th
1 - 4 Registration deadline March 21th
15 – 18 Registration deadline April 4th