Explanation of Tool
- Think about the topic and learning target(s) of an upcoming lesson.
- Design an engaging question or activity (a hook) that you can use to introduce the overall topic and/or specific learning goal.
- Present your hook at the outset of the lesson or unit. Invite students to think about it and then share their responses.
- Collect and summarize students' responses.
- Connect the question or activity that students just completed (the hook), along with students' responses, to the content and/or learning target(s) of the lesson you're about to teach. This connection is called a "bridge."
- Use a variety of different hooks to maximize student engagement.