Explanation of Tool
- Record the critical vocabulary terms for an upcoming unit on a Vocabulary Knowledge Rating Organizer.
- Introduce the terms to students by having students see, hear, and say them.
- Explain that these are the terms students will encounter and need to master during the upcoming unit.
- Instruct students to assess and indicate their familiarity with each term by circling the appropriate number on the four-point scale. Have them add up their points to get their initial VKR.
- Stop at various points throughout the unit and at the conclusion of the unit to have students reflect on how their understanding of the terms has grown and changed.
- Help students reflect on and celebrate their progress.