No Idle Policy
Onslow County Schools endorses and implements the following NC Department of Public Instruction No-Idle recommendations:
- Buses should not idle longer than five (5) minutes. Additional idling does not help the school bus get warmer.
- Buses should not park "nose to tail" when it can be avoided.
- Buses should not idle while loading or unloading on school grounds.
- Buses should not park on school grounds near building air intake systems.
- No bus should run without the driver being within three feet of the bus.
Exceptions to this policy would be made based on the following safety criteria:
- Inclement weather
- Heavy Traffic
- Passenger stops (Stop times are generally limited to 30-45 seconds except when a passenger stop involves a wheelchair.)