Coastal Elementary is a Leader in Me school, incorporating Stephen Covey’s 7 Habits for Highly Effective People. Students and staff learn to use a common language and build an understanding of how to work effectively, independently and interdependently, in all aspects of life, not just at school.
The 7 Habits
The 7 Habits of Highly Effective People are:
- Habit 1: Be Proactive (You’re in Charge)
- Habit 2: Begin With the End in Mind (Have a Plan)
- Habit 3: Put First Things First (Work First, Then Play)
- Habit 4: Think Win-Win (Everyone Can Win)
- Habit 5: Seek First to Understand, Then to Be Understood(Listen Before You Talk)
- Habit 6: Synergize (Together Is Better)
- Habit 7: Sharpen the Saw (Balance Feels Best)
Click on the links below to learn more about the 7 Habits and how they can be used at home to build a culture of effectiveness.
"Leader in Me shows the leadership we need to transform education is not outside our schools, but within them and especially the students themselves."
What is "Leader In Me"?
- A process that helps develop the essential life skills and characteristics students need in order to thrive in the 21st century.
- Uses Stephen Covey's, The 7 Habits of Highly Effective People model, tailored to children and teachers in an education setting.
- Currently has been rolled out to over 650 school world wide.
Why is it good for my children?
- Personal leadership-being accountable for actions and attitudes
- Initiative and self-discipline, making healthy choices
- Ability to work well with others, cross culturally and in teams
- Effective communication and listening skills
- Ability to solve complex problems and creative thinking skills
- Inspires greater self-confidence with a belief that very child can be a "leader of their own life", has unique talents and can make a difference.
- Teaches skills needed to be successful in the 21st century.
What types of results are expected?
- Increase academic achievement and decline in discipline problems
- Increase student self confidence, improved social and life skills
- Increase student, teacher and parent satisfaction with their education