Beginner Band Class
Here I will list some suggested brands, mouthpieces, and necessary maintenance supplies. The suggested brands that are listed are brands with which I am familiar. There are many brands out there. Think of your purchase as if you were purchasing furniture or a car. It is a big investment in your student’s future - reliability and quality will help. At any time in the process of searching for an instrument, feel free to contact me for help, suggestions, or any questions. I will gladly help you determine if the instrument in question is reliable and whether repairs may be necessary.
There are local music stores including, Fuller’s Music in New Bern to assist you with your instrument search. Fuller’s is in New Bern, but they have set up a website for ordering all the necessary supplies for your student’s musical future. Monthly rent to own prices range from $21-$86 a month depending on the instrument and newness of that instrument. Fuller’s Music has a reputable instrument repair shop in which you can place your trust for repairs of used instruments and maintenance of a new instrument – I use them for my personal instruments and my kid’s instruments. Musicraft in Jacksonville is also a reputable repair shop and I have also used Ray’s shop for our repairs. Musicraft does not sell instruments but does great work with repair and maintenance of musical instruments.
- As you get your student’s instrument, please encourage them to refrain from assembling the instrument. It is much easier to start with correct habits than to change bad habits. Additionally, some instruments can be damaged when assembling if not done correctly.
- Students who are not evaluated over the summer will be evaluated in the first week of school.
Band is an investment in your child’s future. Students do not have to become professional musicians, but they will learn life skills such as determination, routine, habits and achieving goals to help them in their future endeavors. We are excited about this year’s HCMS Beginner Band Students!
Tips for Instrument Shopping:
- Research the brands – determine if they are reliable, quality instruments – ask around, especially your directors. We are always glad to help!
- Carefully inspect used instruments not sold in music stores (music stores place their instruments through their shop and know they work correctly). You could double your cost in repairs if it is not inspected. Woodwind overhauls could cost $200-600. Brass slides and valves should move easily and be as dent free as possible. Dents in tubes are big issues.
- When purchasing new instruments, ask about their maintenance plans. This is a big bonus! Speaking from personal experience with my own kids.
- Instrument brands listed here are the ones I am familiar with. These are suggested brands. A reputable music store will have quality instruments. If you are not sure, always feel free to ask!
Suggest Instrument Brands and required supplies for Hunters Creek Middle School
Required materials include the Habits of a Successful Beginner (green book) method book for your instrument and care/maintenance supplies listed for each instrument.
- Flute –Gemeinhardt, Yamaha, Accent. Required Accessories cleaning rod and swab
- Clarinet – Selmer, Yamaha, Buffett, Accent, Vandoreen mouthpiece or Yamaha with Rovner or similar type ligature, Required Accessories: 4 Vandoreen 2.5 reeds and reed case, silk swab, cork grease, mouthpiece brush
- Alto Saxophone – Selmer, Yamaha, Keilwerth, Cannonball, Accent, Rasher, Yamaha 4C or Selmer C* mouthpiece with Rovner or similar type ligature, Required Accessories: 4 Vandoreen 2.5 reeds and reed case, silk swab, cork grease, mouthpiece brush
- Trumpet – King, Yamaha, Bach, Mouthpiece 5c, Required Accessories valve oil, slide grease, mouthpiece brush and snake
- Trombone – King, Yamaha, Bach, Mouthpiece: 6 ½ AL mouthpiece, Required Accessories slide oil (or trombotine or slide o mix), slide grease, mouthpiece brush and snake
School owned instrument accessories:
- Tuba – 24 AW or Helleberg mouthpiece, Required Accessories valve oil, slide grease, mouthpiece brush and snake
- Baritone - Bach 6 ½ AL mouthpiece, Required Accessories valve oil, slide grease, mouthpiece brush and snake
- French Horn – Holton Farkus MC or MDC mouthpiece, Required Accessories rotary oil, slide grease, mouthpiece brush and snake
Students who show interest in percussion must first start another instrument to learn music reading fundamentals. During this time, students are being evaluated for potential success in percussion studies. Percussionists are responsible for learning a variety of pitched and non-pitched instruments. This requires skills in counting, reading music and responsibility for school-owned property.
HCMS Panther Band Materials and Supplies
– Required Materials & Fees –
Supplies for all Grade Levels:
- $10 Music Fee – required by the district. Families may use School Cash Online to pay
- Band Instrument in working order with necessary supplies (see supply list by instrument)
- Method Book: 6th Grade Habits of Successful Beginner Band (green). Books may be purchased through Fuller’s Music.
- Band Binder System: Required for organized continuous rehearsal
- 1” Black Binder
- 5 Dividers
- Pencil Pouch with pencils and highlighter
- Optional sheet protectors to insert often used handouts and music
- Metronome/Tuner combo with clip on microphone (Recommended) serves as a great practice tool for both keeping consistent time and visual note recognition tool.
- School provided 1:1 laptop remember to charge at home each night
– Concert Attire –
The following concert attire requirements will be required of all students enrolled in the HCMS Band. If you have difficulties obtaining the necessary attire or if you have any questions or concerns, please contact Mrs. McRaney.
- Solid Black Long sleeve button up shirt, black pants, black socks, black shoes