Professional Disclosure Statement
Amanda Elizabeth Ashley, East Carolina University Student
- I currently have a bachelors in Elementary Education from the University of North Carolina Wilmington. I graduated in May of 2013.
- I have a license in elementary education, K-6. This license is current and expires June, 30, 2026.
- I completed my practicum counseling at Silverdale Elementary January of 2022 to June 2022.
Upon graduating from the Masters in Counselor Education Program at East Carolina University, I will be eligible to pursue a licensure as a Clinical Mental Health Counselor Associate in North Carolina.
I am currently providing counseling services at Southwest Elementary School. I provide individual and group counseling for K-5 students. At my current site I use play therapy and/or focus on social and emotional development. I like to provide a comprehensive school counseling program, which means I want to focus on your child’s academics and/or social/emotional/personal development. I utilize techniques from the cognitive behavioral therapeutic approach. This is talking to the children about how their thoughts, feelings and actions are all connected.
Session Fees and Length of Service
- The individual sessions last 15 to 20 minutes in length. I try not to keep students out of the classroom for too long. Academics are very important, and I do understand that their time in the classroom is valuable.
- There is no fee for counselor services. Onslow county provides at least one counselor at each school for student needs.
Use of Diagnosis
As a school counselor, I will not provide a mental health diagnosis of a student. It is my responsibility to assess the student’s current mental status and refer him/her to the school psychologist or an independent agency. In the event of a crisis a referral will be made to Coastal Carolina Neuropsychiatric Center or a direct all will be made to 911. Once a referral has been made, I will work closely with the mental health professionals in making school accommodations that will benefit the student in the school setting.
All of our communication becomes part of the clinical record, which is accessible to you upon request. I will keep confidential anything you say as part of our counseling relationship, with the following exceptions: (a) you direct me in writing to disclose information to someone else, (b) it is determined you are a danger to yourself or others (including child or elder abuse), or (c) I am ordered by a court to disclose information.
Clients are encouraged to discuss any concerns with me.