1st Grade Spelling Activities
Complete three or more activities for each spelling list. There will be a test every Friday. Your child will bring home a bag of loose leaf paper for spelling activities.
1. Chalk the Walk – Write your words with chalk outside on your driveway or sidewalk! Illustrate a few words.
2. Take a pre-test at home. Write the words you miss 3 times each.
3. Three Times – First write each word in pencil. Then, write each word in crayon. Finally, write each word in marker!
4. Use magnet letters or Scrabble tiles to spell your words.
5. Write your words in sugar, shaving cream or salt.
6. Make your words with play dough.
7. Adding My Words – Vowels are 10 and consonants are 5. Write your words and then add the value of each word. Ex. cat: 5 + 10 + 5 = 20
8. Type your words.
9. Waterfall Words
10. Vowels / Consonants – Write consonants in blue and vowels in red.
11. Colorful Words – Write each of your spelling words. Write each letter using a different color.
12. Draw and label at least 5 of your spelling words.
13. Story – Write a story using ALL of your spelling words. Be sure to underline your spelling words in the paragraph.
14. Jumping Jacks – Do jumping jacks as you spell your words. – 1 jump per letter
15. Fancy Words – Write your words using bubble letters, squiggly letters, swirly letters, or more.
16. Flash Writing - In a dark room, use a flashlight to write your words. Repeat this three times. Don’t forget to say the letters out loud as you write.
17. ABC Order – Write your spelling words in ABC order. If words start with the same letter, look at the next letter.
18. Ghost Spelling - Students need a white crayon to write their words. After he/she writes the word, rub a marker over top of the white crayon to reveal the ghost spelling word.