Title I Program
Reading is to the mind what exercise is to the body.
What is Title I?
Title I is a federally funded program under the No Child Left Behind Act (NCLB) of 2001. The law, which was signed into effect on January 8, 2002, amends the Elementary and Secondary Act of 1965 (ESEA), and replaces the Improving America's Schools Act of 1994. The act contains four basic principles: stronger accountability for results, increased flexibility and local control, more choices for parents and students, and an emphasis on research-based instructional strategies.
The purpose of the Title I program is to help low-achieving students meet our state's challenging academic content and performance standards. Schools qualify for Title I funds based on economic needs. The Title I program offers a variety of services for participating schools, which may include: additional teachers and support staff, extra time for instruction, a variety of teaching methods and materials, smaller classes and additional training for staff. Hunters Creek Elementary is a school-wide Title I school, which means that Title I funds may be utilized for overall school improvement efforts.
Ways Parents Can Become Involved
· Request meetings with the classroom teachers to formulate suggestions and to participate in decisions about your child's education
· Attend monthly Strategic Planning Team (SPT)/Parent Advisory Council (PAC) meetings. Please visit the SPT/PAC page located in the FAMILIES tab for more information.
· Attend District Parent Advisory Committee meetings at Onslow County School District
Parent Involvement Policy
As part of the district and school parent involvement policy, HCE encourages parents to assist in the development of the Title I plan, to attend parent involvement activities, to complete Title I surveys when requested, and to communicate with teachers and administrators as needed.
***Please visit the Onslow County Schools Title I Services webpage for more information.***
Creating successful, lifelong readers
Strengthen literacy learning for all students
To empower students with the tools to become successful readers in a global society
Meet our Team...
1. Erin Bruce (Title I Reading Specialist)
2. Joseph Caskey (Title I Math & Science Specialist)
3. Rose Spencer (Title I Coach)