Honors Journalism: Yearbook and Broadcast Syllabus Fall/Spring 2019-2020
Mrs. J.L. Roberts
Richlands High School, 100 Building, Room 111
8100 Richlands Highway, Richlands, N.C. 28574
Work: (910) 324-4191, Office Hours: Monday thru Friday 2:15 – 4:15 PM
Work e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org Text: 910-381-1615
In this course you will learn about the practice of journalism and how it has shifted over the years. You
will also practice journalism through the publication of the yearbook, online website, and broadcast.
Class will include discussions, interviews, filming, and photography both inside and outside the classroom
environment. All students are required to sell ads for the yearbook. Deadlines are extremely important
and are integral in the grading process.
SD Card 4GB or more Headphones 1 ½ inch Binder or a Notebook
Folder/Page Protector Pens/pencils/highlighter
1. Be on time. If you are not in the room when the bell rings you will be counted tardy.
2. Use the restroom before class. No one will be allowed to leave or enter during the first ten minutes
and last ten minutes of class.
3. Materials should be brought to class everyday.
4. Stay awake and sit up with your head off of the desk.
5. Keep your hands, feet, and objects to yourself.
6. Eating and drinking, except for water, is not allowed in the classroom because of the expensive
equipment you will be handling.
7. The school dress code must be observed.
8. Cell phones are not allowed in the classroom unless they are being used for a class assignment.
10. There will be no cheating. Cheating results in loss of credit and loss of academic eligibility.
I do not tolerate deviant behavior when a substitute teacher comes into my classroom. Any student
who misbehaves when a substitute is conducting the class will serve a D-Hall.
Serious offenses such as fighting, vandalism, defying of authority, and threats, or offensive statements and
actions toward the teacher will be handled through the office.
Grading Scale, Six Weeks Grading System, and Semester Grading System
A= 90-100, B = 80-89, C = 70-79, D = 60-69, F = 0-59
Six Weeks Grading System:
Grading will be based on a system of percentages. Points will be accumulated through class work,
homework, projects, quizzes, tests, and any other assignment deemed appropriate by the teacher.
Semester Grading System:
Your final grade in this class will be calculated according to the following percentages:
1stSix Weeks Average = 25%
2ndSix Weeks Average = 25%
3rdSix Weeks Average = 25%
Teacher-made Final Exam = 25%
Students do not have my permission to video or audio record me at any time4 with any device.