- Onslow County School District
- District Home
RHS finds success at Beta convention
Students from Richlands High took 26 awards home from the NC Beta Convention.
RHS Successful at Beta Convention
After a successful trip to the 81st Annual NC Senior Beta Convention earlier this month, the Richlands High School Beta Club is now eligible to compete nationally.
The Beta Club is a group meant to drive student success, whose mission statement focuses around the pillars of achievement, character, leadership and service.
Out of 68 RHS students who attended this year, 50 of them brought home a collective 26 awards, through both group and individual competitions. The awards were given in a range of subject areas, and reflected student success in academic, technical and arts competitions.
RHS senior and Beta Club President Ragen Willaford-Menefee, who has been a Beta member since 7th grade, said this convention was a bittersweet one.
"This was my last convention," she said, "and although it was bittersweet, I made memories at Beta this year that I will never forget.
"It was a great joy for both my team and me to win two years in a row, not only as a student but as a person as well. This year's Beta Convention was just the cherry on top, and I will be forever grateful for the memories that it has supplied me."
Timmy DeRossett, an RHS junior, was also elected to be the 2019-2020 Vice President of the NC Senior Beta Club.
"I learned from this experience that I have 80 people (club members, staff and parents) physically willing to stand behind me and support me," Timmy said, "with so many more supporting me spiritually, while I pushed myself and accomplished something I never thought I'd be able to do. And for me, that means everything.
"I am looking forward to serving at the North Carolina Beta Club's next Vice President and continuing to fulfill our club motto, 'Let us Lead by Serving Others.'"
Timmy, who is a member of the Engineering Academy and plays varsity golf and football, is also considering a run for National Vice President.
Congratulations to the RHS Beta Club! We hope to see you do great things at the National Senior Beta Convention in Oklahoma City, Okla. this summer.
Sixty-eight students from RHS competed at the NC Beta Convention.
Below is the list of honors the club received:
- 10% Convention Growth -- Club Award
- 5-Year Sponsor Award -- Valerie Marriott
- 10-Year Sponsor Award -- Tiffany Rhodes
- 5th Place Technology -- Xander Schumann
- 5th Place Performing Arts – Solo, Duo, or Trio – Ian Hudson & Anna Ford
- 5th Place Language Arts 11th grade -- Bryce Adkins
- 4th Place Sculpture Division I -- Thalia Cordero
- 4th Place Marketing & Communications -- Jordan Roed, Mico Quijano, Tucker Ramsey, & Kai Blizzard
- 3rd Place Speech Division II -- Mico Quijano
- 3rd Place Science 9th Grade -- Ian Hudson
- 3rd Place Photography Division II -- Shelby Fortier
- 3rd Place Freshman Problem Solving -- Anna Ford, Ian Hudson, Logan Whaley & Annabel Rocha
- 3rd Place Engineering -- Regan-Willaford, Avery Grice, Colin Rock, Mason Thon, & Nick Anderson
- 3rd Place Biology -- Allison Falls
- 3rd Place Agriscience 9th Grade -- Logan Whaley
- 2nd Place Woodworking Division II -- Noah Gurganus
- 2nd Place Speech Division I -- Bailey Brown
- 2nd Place Service Learning Showcase -- Makayla Selby & Riley Foy
- 2nd Place Robotics -- Regan-Willaford, Avery Grice, Colin Rock, Mason Thon, Nick Anderson, Isaac Hewitt, Matthew Aguilar, & Hannah Jackson
- 2nd Place Painting Division II -- Shelby Barney
- 2nd Place Mixed Media Division II -- Shelby Barney
- 2nd Place Fiber Arts Division II -- Chandler Futrell
- 2nd Place Fiber Arts Division I -- Kassandra Pollock
- 1st Place Music/Fine Arts -- JT Sandlin
- 1st Place Campaign Skit -- Club Award