- Onslow County School District
- District Home
OCS Students Compete in STEM Competitions
On Saturday, February 15, 185 OCS students traveled to compete in two different regional STEM competitions.
Twenty students traveled to the Southeast Regional Science and Engineering Fair hosted by CESTEM at UNCW to compete, and 165 students, a total of 11 teams, competed at the Division B/C Regional Science Olympiad Competition at Lenoir Community College.
The students who took their projects to the Southeast Regional Science and Engineering Fair were those were selected as the best of the best at the OCS district-level competition. Their projects were focused on varying topics, such as water, robotics, engineering and more.
Congratulations to the following two OCS students who received awards at the Science and Engineering Fair:
Regional Science and Engineering Fair Awards
Special Project Winners from the NC American Water Works
- Ryan Yates – Northwoods Elementary School, 2nd place in Elementary Division – Clean Water Versus Dirty Water: Which does your plant prefer?
- Riley Nelson – New Bridge Middle School, 2nd place in Junior Division – Clean Water through Robotics
At the regional Science Olympiad competition, the 11 teams representing Onslow County competed in events covering subjects such as coding, fossils, chemistry, astronomy, food science and more.
Congratulations to the individual students and teams who will go on to represent Onslow County at the state-level Science Olympiad competition at NC State University on April 25, 2020.
Division B/C Science Olympiad Winners
- Jacksonville Commons Middle School
- Lillianna Imhof and Krystyna Gordon, 1st Place in Crime Busters
- Keyshawn Hines and Joshua Olan, 1st Place in Machines
- Taylor Wynn and Jaeliana Sanchez-Collins, 1st Place Mission Possible
- New Bridge Middle School
- Nathan Reese and Jackson Whitsitt, 1st Place in JV Game On & Meteorology
- Julian Rojas and Camden Cash, 1st Place in JV Dynamic Planet
- Jacksonville High School
- Lucas Carlton and Valerie Vargas, 1st Place in Write it Do it!
- Angela Capawana and Eliana Arnold, 1st Place Designer Genes
- Northside High School
- 3rd Place Team Overall, Entire team going to state competition
- Onslow Early College High School
- 1st Place Team Overall, Entire team going to state competition
Congratulations to the winners from these events, and a job well done to all who competed!